Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Back in the Swing of Things

School officially started on Monday, the 24th, and I'm ready for an easier semester than what I've been subjecting myself to. I was extremely excited to have low book prices for my classes; then, I discovered that I would have to buy an external/portable harddrive (I got the external because it was $50 cheaper.), some studio headphones, and all sorts of disks. Including the printing of the first draft of Nomad (hit me up if you would like to edit), I spent over $200 on school supplies so far, and I still need to get a backpack and some subject dividers.

I think the lady at Printing Services thinks I have a crush on her! With my printing and buying course packets, I went into her cave four times throughout the day. It will be a long time before she sees me again, but it's pretty hillarious to flirt with people, especially those who would never have a chance with me. I don't do it to be mean; I just like to see men and women come out of their shells after watching them shy away from others. It's cute, fascinating, and (quite frankly) inspiring.

School beginning has not been all good, though. I am fully convinced that Claire is trying to fire me. Our bitter relationship began when I spoke to one of the professors, a former boss of mine. Claire has convinced herself that my old boss wants her job back (despite the fact that becoming a full-time professor is a huge promotion with a much better paygrade than a tutor manager) and believes that I am helping this woman take her job back. From there, Claire began calling me an outsider and started telling other tutors that I am not to be trusted. I've tried to keep my energy through all of this; I started tutoring for the students, not the paycheck. It's becoming harder and harder to keep that love, though. Call me paranoid, but it's pretty easy to believe someone is out to get me when she tells the tutoring staff that homework is not allowed when I am not around and then tells me that homework is fine as long as I greet the students. She's out to get me! Fortunately, her boss has agreed to meet with me to discuss my options. If I truly am at fault for speaking to the professors whose class I tutor, then I will never speak to another English 955 instructor again, but I thought knowing the professors helps me to know how to help the students.

As a bit of good news, I had many takers from my CraigsList.org advertisement for editors. It always amazes me to see and meet people willing to help just because. I can't pay these people, but since they are helping me, I will help them if they need it.
Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment